Courses that DO NOT count toward the major:
- Core classes susch as University Writing (ENGL C1010 or F1010) and Literature and Humanities.
- Courses taken Pass/Fail, or receiving a grade of D. Note, however, that the first course taken in the department can be taken P/F, and can count toward the major, so long as it is not LTCM.
Courses that DO count toward the major:
- English Department courses used to satisfy the Global Core requirement
- Barnard English courses. There is no limit to the number of Barnard courses that can apply to the major, and these can also fulfill distribution requirements, in consultation with the DUS.
- Up to two courses offered through Creative Writing, comparative literature (these will have course numbers beginning with CL), and foreign language departments (if they are they upper-level courses concentrating on literature, rather than language proficiency). Important: courses taken outside English do not fulfill any distribution requirements. Note, however, that comparative literature courses with the designation CLEN are in fact English Department courses; there is, therefore, no limit on how many can be taken, and they do fulfill distribution requirements.
- Up to two summer classes.
- The Senior Essay, or an independent study course (although there is no limit to the number of independent studies you can take in the department, only one of these can count toward the major).
- Transfer and Study Abroad credits (in consultation with the DUS).