The English Commons

English Commons Flyer


What is the English Commons?

The Commons is a weekly work space reserved for English and Comparative Literature majors and concentrators. 

Where and when can I find it?

Every Friday from 12-3PM during the academic year, in 324 Uris Hall.

What kinds of activities are possible in the space?

Reading, writing, group projects, conversation, vacant staring, napping, coffee-drinking…there is a large common area with comfortable chairs and some tables for working, a conference room with a big table for groups, and some smaller offices for those who prefer solitude and silence. 

How do I get access?

Show up and sign in with the staff member or faculty person on duty.  

Is access reserved for majors and concentrators?

Priority access will be given to declared ENCL majors/concentrators, but all students currently enrolled in English classes can also use the Commons (space permitting).

Can I bring a non-major friend?

Yes (space permitting). 

Are there snacks?

Yes, there are snacks. 

Is there a library?

No, alas, strictly BYOB(ooks).

Is this a permanent arrangement? 

Semi-permanent; we have the space until major Uris renovation begins.